A few months ago – when the realization I had just turned 30 sank in – I asked my Instagram followers for recommendations on skincare and boy did they deliver. This was kind of hilarious as my mother is a dermatologist who has tried to get me to at least put some moisturizer on for years (somehow though she never had to tell me to put on sunscreen twice, as I generally bathe in it and avoid the sun, the sea, and omg the beach at all cost).
Joking aside, my skin has always been a sensitive topic as I have terrible adult acne with deep scarring, and have honestly tried every treatment under the sun, to no avail. In my journey of self-acceptance, I have decided if not to embrace the pimple, at least tolerate the acne while doing my skin some good.
I also want to say that while my face looks flawlessly poreless in pictures, that is all an illusion brought to you by MAC cosmetics and photoshop…so don’t believe all you see on Instagram, lol.
After some trial and error I have implemented a regiment that works for me, my lifestyle, and most importantly my skin. Since questions about my routine are quite common every time I do an AMA, here it is, broken down for you.
It goes without saying that I am not a dermatologist, and you should always consult one before trying to put anything new on your face.
- Wash face with Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser
- Apply The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
- Apply moisturizer. Lately I have been using the Kiehl’s Facial Fuel Energizing Face Moisturizer
- Primer and foundation with SPF, or just SPF
My night time routine takes place mostly in the shower.
- Remove makeup and/or SPF with a gentle, oil-free makeup remover
- I then use the Clarisonic with Nubian Heritage’s African Black Soap
- Now my routine gets more complicated. On Sundays I do a chemical peel, The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, I use The Ordinary Retinol 0.5% in Squalane. I started with the 0.2%, and since my skin tolerates it super well, and have noticed an improvement in my scars, I moved to 0.5%.
- I finish my routine with Niacinamide and The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane.
- I spot treat the active pimples with a galenic preparation of Sulfur, which is at this point the only thing which has ever worked on my acne. Thanks to my godmother (a chemist) for preparing it for me for the past 15 years!
And that’s it! Hope this quenched everyone’s curiosity. While I still have pretty bad acne, it’s decidedly better than it was at the beginning of the year, and the general skin condition has also improved. I think
If you like my content please consider buying me a coffee 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼